Monday, July 14, 2008

Bayside breakfasts - Eurodore Port Melbourne

So nice to be brunching, and not on the weekend.  The kids are all at school, the 9-5ers are doing important work things, I can get a quiet table and any section of the paper I choose to read.  Now, if I could just get that guy to learn how to close a door to prevent a draught...

At Eurodore on Bay St Port Melbourne, the service is less frazzled than on the weekends, and my other half can get his "eggs and sides" which Eurodore have stopped doing after midday on the weekends...  We've missed this place, finding brekkie only average to OK elsewhere recently.  

Now while I can easily order from the list of 8 or 9 sweet and savoury offerings, the question is put to me; how can an English chef pick from this list, when all he really wants is a plate of decently scrambled eggs with bacon & black pudding on the side?  And ketchup (sauce for us locals), which was strangely absent from the Eurodore condiment stores for several weeks in June for some reason..

Today was the first day we had been there since we heard the new rules on the self selected breakfast during the brunch/lunch hours on the weekend.  We had been there every Sunday for about 5 months (and I'd been many Saturdays as well), finding them to be the best quality and most consistent breakfast on the strip.  

Today was not disappointing, bread was OK (not from the cheap Bakehouse next door, which we were served on a couple of busy days, when the real bread from Noisette had run out) but not the great sourdough they were serving up until a few weeks ago.  The Green eggs were cooked well, and my Chai (yes, it's a syrup, but a lovely French one) was served at a temperature not aiming to remove my lips or scald my tongue.  For me it was just a shame that I had to run off to teach a class in the city, so I wasn't been able to eat the porridge with slow baked quinces which I've missed lately, and being a working weekday, no time for the second cuppa.

No comments: